Support these local DFW Outfitters
By: Haley Cottey
If 2020 taught us anything, it was how important it is to explore local and support local! When traveling is difficult, exploring local trails and activities is so important. It can open our eyes to the fact that our backyard is bigger than we think and YES there are amazing green spaces right here in DFW. (see Part 1 and Part 2 of our DFW Trail Highlights).
Equally important is changing our mindset to intentionally support our local businesses. Yes Amazon is convenient and eating at chain restaurants is easy but supporting local business is SO important to keep our local economy thriving, paying our neighbors (instead of corporate CEOs) and supporting dreams. Small businesses also better for the environment and more of your money stays in YOUR town when you shop at small business.
So for all our DFW explorers, support local by shopping at these local outdoor stores. Obviously there are MANY more businesses in DFW that are dedicated to getting people outside to ExploreMore so we will always be updating and adding to this list. Share your favorites in the comments!
- AJ Vagabonds: Located in the Bishop Arts District, this store is locally owned and supports local artists. They also have a beautiful outdoor seating area, a cocktail bar and events. The owners, Amy and Jason; introduce themselves on their website: "Amy Cowan and Jason Roberts had been community activists who threw street parties for years in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas, Texas. Eventually, they decided to team up and start businesses that continue supporting and embracing the region."
- Backwoods Paddlesports: This locally owned paddle shop is located near Panther Island Pavilion and rents everything you need for a fun time paddling on the water. They also have events and can help point you in the right direction for getting started on the water.
- Outside Texas: You may have seen their booth at the Dallas Farmers Market or visited their pop up shop during the holidays at Mockingbird Station. Outside Texas was started in 2019 by friends Josh and Brandon. They introduce the brand beautifully on their website: "Outside, Texas is an outdoor recreational lifestyle brand born in 2019. On the surface, we create Texas-themed apparel and goods. Our hope is to inspire everyone to get up, get out and get back to nature. Our mission is to get you there (to Outside, Texas) in style."
- Racquet and Jog: Racquet & Jog opened in Longview, Texas in 1978 and now have 3 stores in Longview, Rockwall and Texarkana. They began as a running store and have expanded into a variety of athletic and outdoor gear and apparel. Interested in trail running? This is a great place to learn more and get the equipment you need for a fun day on the trail.
- Ray Jay's Bike Shop: This locally owned and independent bike shop located in Arlington Texas is a great place to learn more and equip yourself for some biking on or off road. Don't live near Arlington? For more information about off-road biking and bike trails in DFW, checkout DORBA.
- SlimPickins Outfitters: SlimPickins is a community and collegiate outfitters shop located in Stephenville, TX dedicated to equipping you to get outside. Here is what they say: "We don’t only sell the best quality outdoor goods we can get our hands on (though, we do that). We’re here to outfit you and inspire you for your next adventure. We know that adventure is a large spectrum. Whether you are a single guy heading out for an annual camping trip with your crew, a girl excited to get out and hike, a college student planning a road trip, or a young parent wrangling your tribe at the park we want you to be prepared, encouraged, and successful."
Campy Goods and Gear: This online gear shop has local adventure guides, Texas themed gear and awesome tshirts! Check them out for everything for kids to adults and get outside!